Bioenergy Association of Ukraine was the co-organizer of the seminar "Prospects for energy crops in Ukraine", which on June 30 was held by the State Agency for Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine (SAEE) jointly with the Kyiv Regional State Administration, LLC "Ukrteplo" and UkrNDIPVT named after L.Pohorilyi. The seminar was attended by over 80 participants from all over Ukraine and from Poland. The seminar was aimed at raising awareness of local authorities and community development, as well as attracting businesses to create new renewable energy sources in the form of perennial plantations of energy crops.
The seminar consisted of theoretical and practical parts and was held at the site of UkrNDIPVT named after L.Pohorilyi of NAAS of Ukraine. The seminar was opened by an advisor of the Head of SAEE Sergiy Savchuk and Chairman of the Board of the Bioenergy Association of Ukraine Georgiy Geletukha. In his speech, Georgiy Geletukha reminded the considerable potential of biomass in Ukraine, which is 29.8 million TCE. One-third of this potential by conservative estimate belongs to bioenergy crops that can be grown on unused agricultural land of poor quality, which in Ukraine is about 4 million ha. When growing energy crops on 1 million hectares with average yields of 11.5 million tons / year Ukraine can potentially replace up to 5.5 billion m3 of natural gas per year.
Presentations of the speakers (in Ukrainian)
- "Stimulation of natural gas substitution" — Yuriy Shafarenko, Head of the Department of SAEE
- "Development and Prospects of Bioenergy in Ukraine" — Georgiy Geletukha, Head of the Board of Bioenergy association of Ukraine
- "Experience of growing energy crops" — Iryna Gnap, Director of Agro-energy company "Salix Energy"
- "Energy crops in the Netherlands and Ukraine" — Kees Kwant, Senior Expert, Netherlands Enterprise Agency, Netherlands
- "Practical experience of the use of energy crops "- Ivan Nadein, founder of group of companies" Ukrteplo "